Condo Owners: Who is Responsible, You or the Association?


Many Chapman Insurance clients are seasonal residents here in Florida, or own a condo elsewhere, and have purchased a condo insurance policy.   For condominium owners, it’s incredibly important to know the differences between what your insurance policy covers as the unit owner, and what may be covered by your condominium association’s hazard insurance policy. 

This helpful diagram depicts which different items fall under the responsibility of each type of policy.

As you can see, most of the “things,” like appliances and fixtures that live in the house are covered by your homeowner’s policy – while the support and structural elements are probably covered by the association.  If disaster strikes your condominium building or unit, this can make filing a claim much easier.  Remember to document and record household furnishings like drapery, floor coverings, cabinets, light fixtures, etc. in case you ever need to file a claim.

Please note that this diagram is just a helpful guideline and should not be relied upon as the basis for insurance coverage.  Review Florida Condominium Statute 718 and your condo documents for official information and maintenance responsibilities.

Download this diagram here (we recommend printing to keep with your condo insurance documentation).

THIS INFORMATION is courtesy of:  Accutech Restoration & Remodeling

As a restoration contractor we are the company called in to clean up after a wide variety of water, sewer, fire and storm damage situations.  Accutech is the strategic restoration partner of your insurance agent and wants to make this process a little easier by providing you with information that most people only discover the hard way—after they’ve had a loss like this that isn’t covered.